“Why do today what you can do tomorrow?” This phrase has never been uttered by a forward-thinking person. But it is a common mantra for procrastinators!
That being said, Dallas business owners can’t afford procrastination when it comes to building needs. Putting off important building maintenance tasks can result in expensive repairs and lots of frustration down the road.
The time to start prepping for fall building maintenance is now, in the summer. Let’s go over some maintenance areas to consider as the autumn season gets closer.
Fall Building Maintenance Preparation Tips
The maintenance needs of a commercial building for fall can vary depending on the specific type of building, its location and the climate in the region. However, here are some common maintenance tasks that are typically required for commercial buildings in the fall, which you can get started on now.
- HVAC system maintenance: With the changing weather, it is important to check and maintain the HVAC system to ensure that it is functioning properly. This includes cleaning and replacing air filters, checking the heating system and performing any necessary repairs.
- Roof and gutter cleaning: Falling leaves and debris can clog gutters and drainage systems, which can lead to water damage and leaks. Clean your gutters and roof now to better prevent this from happening.
- Window and door weather-stripping: Proper weather-stripping of windows and doors can help to keep warm air in and cold air out, reducing energy costs and improving the building’s energy efficiency. This is a relatively easy item that should be on your building maintenance list for fall.
- Exterior maintenance: Check the exterior of the building for any signs of damage or wear and tear, such as cracks, leaks or broken windows. Fix any issues as soon as possible to prevent further damage (and more difficult repairs in the winter). This fall building maintenance item applies to both your building exterior and equipment on site.
- Parking lot and walkway maintenance: In preparation for fall, it is important to repair any cracks in the parking lot or walkways to prevent them from becoming bigger problems during the cooler months.
- Pest control: Fall is a time when pests such as rodents and insects seek shelter in buildings. Get an inspection of preventative maintenance to help prevent infestations when fall rolls around.
- Fire safety inspections: Safety is always an important building maintenance component. Check all fire safety systems, such as smoke detectors and fire alarms, to ensure they are functioning properly.
The Importance of Proactive Scheduling and Planning
Building maintenance needs can vary depending on the specific needs of the building. It is always best to consult with a professional building maintenance service to develop a customized maintenance plan for your commercial building. These companies get booked up quickly, so be proactive and address what you need to address now, while you can.
At Fernic Building Solutions, we’d love to help get your building ready for fall, so give us a call today at (817) 640-4183 for a free building maintenance consultation.